Understanding GST and its practical implementation have become an essential aspect of any business, organisation, or taxpayer since India’s change in tax regulations. This article discusses the What, Why, and How the GST Course is accessible online.
What exactly is GST?
GST is an abbreviation for Goods and Services Tax. The GST bill was passed in parliament on March 29, 2017. On July 1, 2017, it became operational as a single indirect taxation system under the ONE NATION ONE TAX policy. GST is a destination-based tax collected by the state where products are consumed rather than the state where commodities are received.
Here’s a question: what exactly is indirect tax? How does it differ from direct taxation?
- Direct tax is charged on an individual’s income and actions, whereas indirect tax is levied on products and services.
- The tax burden is moved to indirect tax but cannot be shifted to direct tax.
- Indirect tax is paid before the products and services reach the taxpayer, whereas direct tax is paid after the person earns money.
- Although one person pays an indirect tax, it is recovered from others who will use products or services. The ultimate taxpayer is the end-user in the chain.
- Indirect taxes include service tax, VAT, excise duty, and GST. Direct taxes include income and wealth taxes.
Returning to the subject of GST, let us first define the various categories of GST.
In India, there are four forms of GST. And all of these taxes are levied differently depending on whether the transaction is interstate or intrastate.
Tax Laws Before GST:
Both the state and federal governments collected several indirect taxes before the implementation of the GST regime. Most taxes collected by states were in the form of Value Added Tax (VAT). Each state has its own set of rules and regulations.
In the pre-GST regime, levied the following indirect taxes:
- Excise Duty at the Center
- Excise duties
- Excise Duties, in Addition
Customs’ Special Additional Duty
- VAT in the state
- Central Sales Tax (CST)
- Tax on Purchases
- The Luxury Tax
- Tax on Entertainment
- Entry Fee
- Advertisement taxes
- Lottery, betting, and gaming taxes
Enroll in the GST Certification Course for the most up-to-date information on GST return filing and taxation.
What is the significance of GST certification?
Chartered Accountants (CAs), Company Secretaries (CSs), Businessmen, Certified Management Accountants (CMAs), and other professionals benefit from the GST certification training. And this training improves skills, refreshes the information on the new tax system, and fosters problem-solving and analytical abilities.
What are the advantages of taking the GST Certification course online?
The following are the advantages of taking the GST Certification course online:
- It expands work prospects in the Finance industry.
- People who pass this will be able to start their consulting firms.
- It contributes to boosting the compensation from 15% to 20%.
- It is beneficial for financial professionals to keep their analytical and problem-solving abilities up to date.
- It prepares companies and organisations for GST.
- Learn more about the impact of GST on various industries.
- Overall comprehension aids in dealing with real GST concerns.
- You can enrol in the course at any time and from any location.
GST practitioners, often known as GSTPs, provide services to other taxpayers. He must be registered on the GSTN portal and have a certificate recognised by both the Central and State governments of India.
The following individuals are eligible to become GST Practitioners.
- One must be an Indian citizen.
- They should not be guilty of an infraction involving imprisonment for more than two years.
- A person should be of sound mind and not be considered insolvent.
In addition to the requirements mentioned above, a person must meet the following requirements.
- A graduate or postgraduate degree, or equivalent, in Law, banking or commerce, business management, or business administration from a recognised Indian university is required.
- A Cost Accountant, Chartered Accountant, or Company Secretariat.
- The Indian government recommends any other tests.
- Any foreign university will recognise an Indian university’s degree.
- Returns on Taxes Preparer or Sales Tax practitioner with at least five years of experience.
- A retired Commercial Tax officer with a higher Group-B level who worked for at least two years in the Central Board of Indirect Tax and Customs (CBIC) or any State Government.
The Best GST Practitioner Training Institute will teach you how to become a professional GST practitioner.
A GST practitioner’s job functions are as follows:
- Assists taxpayers with GST registration, cancellation, and updates.
- Helps in the filing of GST returns using the appropriate GST forms.
- Helps in refunds and tax payments.
- Is the authorised representative to appear in front of any GST officer?
How does one go about becoming a GST Practitioner?
To become a qualified GST practitioner, a person must complete the following procedures.
Form PCT-01 is used to register as a GST practitioner via the GST site, and Form PCT-02 is used to get an enrollment certificate.
Upload the required information for GST practitioner registration on the platform. GSTN will produce a Temporary reference number (TRN) and confirm this information using an OTP issued to your registered cellphone number. Upload further supporting documentation and apply for DSC or EVC. Within fifteen days, you will get an acknowledgement with the GSTP Enrollment number on your registered email ID.
Attend the GSTP exam, which NACIN administers.
Take the GSTP test administered by NACIN within two years of enrolling on the GST site. The tests are held twice a year at specific locations across India. There is no limit to the number of tries the candidate may make over those two years. The candidate may select their preferred centre. NACIN announces the exam date, published on the GST web, the GST Council Secretariat, and major English and regional publications.
It is a computer-based test with solely multiple-choice questions.
The candidate’s minimum score is 50% of the total marks.
The list of enrolled GSTPs will subsequently be made accessible on the GST common platform for taxpayers to select from.
The following laws are included in the exam syllabus:
- The 2017 Central Goods and Services Tax Act
- The 2017 Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act
- All of the 2017 state Goods and Services Tax Acts
- The 2017 Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Act
- The 2017 Goods and Services Tax (State Compensation) Act
- The 2017 Central Goods and Services Tax Rules
- The 2017 Integrated Goods and Services Tax Rules
- 2017 Goods and Services Tax Rules for All States
- Notifications, circulars, and instructions are issued from time to time by the Acts as mentioned above and Rules.
Top Best GST Certification Courses Online in 2023:
The top online certification courses to become a qualified GST practitioner are listed below
1. GST Certification Courses Online – IIPTR Institute
IIPTR Institute is a leading online training institute that provides the finest Online GST course. Because the course is delivered online, you may access it wherever you wish. It also allows you to complete the system from the comfort of your own home. The GST Course is most suited for business graduates, financial students, professionals, and attorneys, but anybody may take it for more lucrative employment opportunities.
The GST Course intends to cover all aspects of GST, including both fundamental and more complicated ideas. Weekend 10 to 12 Sundays and regular 1 & a half months and practical tasks.
Those interested in taxation and finance would benefit significantly from this course. The mentors are encouraging, have extensive expertise, and will give all the information required to flourish in the GST sector.
Course Contents Include:
- A Quick Overview of GST
- Understanding the Various Tools and Software
- ITC Claims Requirements
- Mechanism of Reverse Charge
- Payments made under the GST Act
- Returns on GST
- The Advantages of GST
- GST Terms and Conditions
Because of the pandemic crisis, online courses are becoming increasingly important. The IIPTR Institute recognises the value of continued education. The training is prepared and structured by specialists who are well-versed in GST. The course is filled with practical exercises and reference resources to help you.
2. GST Certification Courses online – ISEL Global – ISEL Global has introduced this course in association with MSME, Government of India. The course is STRUCTURED to explain different aspects of GST including registration, returns, in-depth accounting, and recording of GST transactions. It is a 3-month course with an e-learning content of 35 hours. There is the facility to take an online examination for GST Practitioner Certification Course. On completing the course, the candidate will get the certificate from MSME, Government Of India.
Below is the list of eligible CANDIDATES who can take this course.
- Graduate or postgraduate having a degree in Law, Banking or Commerce
- CAs or CA Students
- CS professionals and students
- IAS aspirants
- Professionals in the finance, Law, and Banking sector including CFOs, MBA finance professionals, ICWA professionals, Lawyers, Independent tax practitioners, and consultants.
The course covers 10 modules, namely
- Module 1: Taxation and GST Basics
- Module 2: GST Concepts and Basics
- Module 3: GST Registration
- Module 4: GST Invoicing
- Module 5: GST Returns
- Module 6: Input Tax Credit
- Module 7: GST Valuation
- Module 8: GST Legal Provisions
- Module 9: Miscellaneous
- Module 10: GST Practitioner Certification Examination
3.GST Certification Courses online – ICAI
The Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI) has introduced this course to strengthen the knowledge of the members and also enhance the analytical and problem-solving skills concerning GST.
Registration and Payment are to be done by online mode only.
Only the Chartered Accountants who are members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI) can participate in this certification program.
This is a 10-day course. The course covers the following topics, namely
- Constitutional provisions related to GST
- Classification under HSN Covering and SAC covering
- Time of Supply of Goods and Time of Supply of Services
- Nature of Supply
- Input Tax Credit
- Eway Bill
- Returns and Payments
- Assessment and Demand
- Advance Ruling
- Appeals and Penalty
- Form 9
- Maintenance of Records and Books
- Relevant provisions of Allied Laws
- Ethical Practices and Professional Opportunities
The faculty will be experienced professionals in the field of Indirect Tax including Advocates, Academicians, and Chartered Accountants.
4. Comprehensive eLearning Certification on new GST Returns by Clear Tax Portal:
The course focuses on overall training on new GST. Following topics are covered under this program.
- Basics of GST returns
- New GST returns system
- The transition from old to the new system
- Experts section
5.Awareness Course on Goods and Services Tax by IGNOU:
Indira Gandhi Open University ( IGNOU) popularly known as People’s University which provides numerous courses on different fields of studies with a reasonable fee structure for citizens of India. Awareness Course on Goods and Services Tax is one of them. In collaboration with the Bombay Stock Exchange, IGNOU developed this course to provide basic knowledge and skills under the GST act.
The duration of the course is 6 months and there is a total of seven modules in the course. Content of the course includes:
- Understanding GST concept
- Incidence of Taxation
- Calculation of Tax Liability
- Maintenance of Books
- Payments under GST
- 22nd and 23rd GST Council Meeting for Change in GST
6. Master in GST by CA Sourabh Jog
Being one of the best sellers, this course focuses on the detailed study of GST. Conceptual understanding with practical examples is the key objective. Lifetime access to animated video lectures, quizzes, and notes on each topic are provided. The course gives
- 34.5 on-demand video
- 45 articles
- Downloadable resource
- Certification of Completion
CA, CS, MBA, and CMA students, Accountants, Accountant professionals, and GST practitioners are eligible for this course.
- Meaning and Scope of Supply
- IGST- Place of Supply
- Time of Supply and Value of Supply
- Input Tax Credit
- Tax Invoice Debit Note Credit Note
- Accounts & Records
- Payment of Tax
- Returns & Refund
- Job Work
- Assessment & Audits
- Inspection, Search, Seizure
- Demand & Recovery
- Liability in Certain Cases
- Offense & Penalties
- Appeals & Revisions
- Advance Rulings
- Transitional Province
- E Way Bill
- Practical Questions with Answers
- Recent updates in GST
4.6 / 5
7. Practical GST with Latest updates Course and Certification by CA SwatiGupta & CA Rajkumar Agrawal
The course gives knowledge on all important points in GST and its application in daily life.
CA, CMA, and Cs students, BCom students, and Tax Counselors
The course provides
- 3-hour on-demand video
- 3 downloadable resource
- 1 practice test
- Certification of Completion
4.4 / 5
8.Practical Course in Goods and Services Tax by Ranjit Kate:
The course helps in solving practical problems in the area of GST filling, GST computation, GST payment, GST reports, returns, and Tally ERP 9.
Accounting, Finance and Commerce background candidates with basic computer knowledge are required to undergo this course.
- GST concepts explained from the practical point of view
- GST Computations and passing various transactions
- Preparing and Understanding GST reports
- Input Tax Credit(ITC) adjustment
- GSTR1 return filing for outward supply online and offline on GST portal
- GSTR2 return for inward supply offline and online
- GSTR 3B return filing
- GSTR 9 annual return
3.9 / 5.5
9. GST Training Accreditation Program by CBIC:
Central Board of Indirect Taxes(CBIC) is part of the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance by the Government of India.
The objective of the course is quality and authoritative GST training at a reasonable cost to trade, industry, and other stakeholders, as a part of the Government of India’s Trade Outreach Program for the successful rollout of GST.
Training Institutes and professional bodies having experience in Indirect tax training who want to provide GST training to other Industries, stakeholders, and trade who in turn are eligible to participate in this program.
10. GST certification course By ICSI:
The institute provides education to the students of the Company Secretaries (CS) course. Institute of Company Secretary of India (ICSI) which is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs also conducts the GST certification program.
The course gives thorough knowledge about GST principles and also other aspects of the Indirect Tax regime. Also, focuses on conceptual study, practical implementation, and any latest development under GST norms.
Only members and students of the Institute of Company Secretary (ICSI) can participate in this program.
Study material (soft copy) will be provided after registration of the course. The examination is conducted online ( All MCQ-based questions).
11. GST Training at NIFM
On successful completion of the course, the certificate is awarded to the candidate
National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM) partnered with the National Academy of Customs, Excise, Narcotics (NACIN) to conduct the GST training course. The main objective of the course is to
- provide overall knowledge on GST norms
- understand the impact of GST on any business
- Solve transitional issues
- Provide complete practical knowledge of various aspects of GST
Officials of Central and State government, Industry experts, Members of Trade, Academia, and professional bodies
For central government and state government officials, GST is not levied.
- Overview of GST act
- Detailed Discussion on Input Tax Credit (ITC)
- Role of Good and Service Tax Network (GSTN)
- Authority of Advance Ruling and its Role
- Accounts and Records
- Inspection, Search, Seizure, Confiscation
- Examination and Feedback
12. Online Advanced GST Certification Courses online by CA Bimal Jain through CAclubindia portal:
One of the finest GST certification Courses online, the course focuses on a detailed understanding of GST and its practical aspects. Also, helps in analyzing practical issues and problems in GST.
The course includes
- Video lectures of 60 hours
- E-Book on GST provided
- On successful completion of the course, E-Certificate will be issued by CAClubindia
CA professionals and students, CS professionals and students, MBA finance professionals, ICWA practitioners and students, CFOs, Accountants, and Tax practitioners can opt for this course.
- Levy and Supply under GST
- Taxable person & Registration, Thresh hold limits, etc.
- Time of Supply and Value of Supply
- Input Tax Credit (ITC)
- Place of Supply for Good or Services
- Zero-rated Supply (including Refund)
- Tax Invoice, Introduction of e-Invoicing under GST and Job Work
- Existing return and new GST return system under GST and E-way bill
- Clause by Clause filing of GST Annual Return (Form GSTR-9)
- Inspection, Search, Seizure, and Arrest under GST
- Advance Ruling Under GST
- Appeal, Revision, Offence, and Penalty under GST
- Questions and Answers
- Intricacies in Supply, Deemed supply, Cross Charge versus ISD, etc.
Intricacies in Time of Supply and GST ITC with question and
- Overview and Intricacies in place of Supply for Goods and Services with question and answers.